Skip to main content

Post-Race: HK-100

All along, even up till moments before the race, I was ambivalent about the Hong Kong-100(k). While I was stoked about the race itself, my training since getting into the race through lottery in September had been plagued by injuries. I was very much out of training for two months till November. The two months leading up to the race, I had but two weeks with weekly mileage above 50. Still building on base mileage, my shin splints poked up its nasty head last week. In spite of all that, I still had hopes to tough this thing out. For the first time, I even wrote a list of motivations to keep me moving and promised myself to go through the list before I would call quit. Part of my list includes:
  • Running for Ellis: because I get to be alive and well to do it;
  • How do I want to remember the race after tomorrow?
  • "If you can take it, you can make it!"
The more I thought about the race, however, the more pressure I put on myself. I am so glad that I schedule the race to be at the front end of my time here. I want to rid of that weight bearing on me!

My sister and I at race start
While still entertaining the thought to finish, the plan at the start was to make it as far as I could. Unfortunately, the plan fell apart pretty quickly. The travelling and lack of sleep in the last two days took a toll on my body. I was tried... at Check Point 1, merely six miles into the race! Everybody moved through the aid station very quickly. As much as I wanted to linger, I continued on. 

A year ago, I sampled a portion of the Maclehose Trail. The east-west trail is 100 km long by itself, running across New Territories. Though deviates from it at times, the majority of the race is run on this trail. We started on the east end of the trail, which starts in a country park on Sai Kung peninsula, and continues westward after almost circumferencing the peninsula. See the interactive map here.

High Island Reservoir

The trail consists of both pavement, (a lot of) stone steps, and technical, rocky, single-tracks. It runs through some of Hong Kong's highest peaks, valleys, coastlines, and strings together places and villages. Unlike Charlotte, there isn't much rolling, just long ascent and descent. Even with hands-on-knees kind of ascent, the descent was what I struggled with the most. The scenery certainly helped to distract myself from focusing on my stiffening legs and body. 

Worth mentioning is the Asian-flared aid stations, offering egg sandwiches, rice balls, and instant cup noodles. No gels. Sports drink was something called "Pocari," a volunteer told me. A google search shows this, if you are interested. Temperature yesterday was between high-50s and mid-60s and sunny. Dehydrated, I chucked a whole bottle oblivious to what it was. It has a taste similar to coconut water, yet different. Perhaps a mix between coconut water and Heed?

Reaching Check Point 2 at 21k, I hate to admit that I was coming to terms that finishing might be out of reach. But I knew I would hate to remember this race only as a DNF, or let it be defined by how far I made, rather than the journey and experience. From this point on, it'd be about enjoying the scenery, keep moving forward (without causing permanent damages), and savoring these moments. Thankfully, my sluggish jog actually gave my shins proper time to warm up and they ceased to bother me for awhile. I took it as a gift from above and continued on.

With 1800 runners representing 50 countries, I was never alone on the course even as the crowd settled in various paces and thinned out. There were at least 3 or 5 runners both in front/sight and behind me. With each surprise of how relatively well I was still climbing came the reality check of pain with each descent. But, look at this:
Going up Sai Wan Shan, looking at Sharp Peak (Photo by: Cesare Romani)
The photo above captures much of the characteristics of the first half of the course: Up a mountain, down to a beach, across some sand, up again we go. At around 40 km, we hit a long stretch of flat pavement, weaving in and out villages and grass fields. That, felt like forever. I was also convinced that I looked like a running Frankenstein if I could watch myself from behind. Finally, I rolled into Check Point 4 at 45 km. If I were to continue onto Check Point 5, where drop bags were, I would have bagged another peak and crossed the 50K mark. After briefly stopping at the check point, a short-lived attempt to continue was made. Hopping maybe but 10 yards, I turned around and threw in the towel. 

Check Point 4 @ 45 km
Last night, I saw a photo of one of the last participants finishing the race at 30 hours. I have nothing but tremendous respect for everyone who finishes this beast. What determination! It's now been two days after the race; as I have started the race with ambivalence, I remained the same. Although, with peace, gratitude, and inspiration this time. I hope my DNF will pay off in a long run by keeping me off injury reserve and providing an opportunity to get back into proper training. It was a beautiful day for an adventure, that's how I will remember this race.

Photo by Andre



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WV Trilogy - Part 1

Driving to Spruce Knob My experience at WV Trilogy is unimaginable. It wasn't just the run or the scenery, though both are spectacular - but more so my journey before and during the run, the emotions, the learning, and the tremendous love and support I get from friends and family. The last three days are not only a running adventure, but an opportunity of personal growth and defining moments which will outlast adrenaline or results. Each of the journal entry is written after the run on each day. I want to share it chronologically and hopefully could take you through my experience as I have experience it. (Thurs) Oct 11 at 8:19 pm -  In my dorm room, in bed. I'm still nervous about my shin splints and calf pain. Both legs were hurting this afternoon. There's nothing much I could at this point but just take everything as it is - pain, race, outcome... My job tomorrow is to simply show up and do what I can. I'm praying to open my heart and mind to whatever God has

Running on Empty

Running On Empty from Neil Webb on Vimeo . Production Company: Statically Indeterminate Productions Ltd. Filmed and Edited by: Neil Webb Running On Empty is a gut wrenching, yet heart-warming documentary short that tells the story of the lengths that one man will go to bring his six-year-old, quadriplegic son back to health. This 22-minute documentary marks the second film from 24-year-old, award-winning filmmaker Neil Webb. In September 2010, Webb teamed up with Blaine Penny; a 36-year-old Calgarian who was attempting to run a 100-kilometer ultra-marathon over several mountain passes in Alberta, in order to raise awareness for his son’s debilitating disease. Two years ago, Blaine Penny and his family were living a normal, quiet life until Blaine's four-year-old son Evan went in for a routine surgery to have his appendix removed. His appendix was fine, but he wasn't. Evan did not wake up from the surgery and fell into a coma. After Evan awoke from the coma 5 d

WV Trilogy - Part 2

(If you haven't read Part 1, it's here .) (Sat) Oct 13 -  Sunrise at Spruce Knob 6 a.m. start in the dark. My legs surprised me by being happier than yesterday. My heart is in better place as well. The first 6.7 mile goes up to Spruce Knob, the highest point in West Virginia. Part of this section was on fire road and I welcomed the faster miles. Steady progress was made in the first 20 miles or so until the long, long descent into Aid Station 3. As I have decided yesterday, I'd start the race, go from aid station to aid station, and re-evaluate my condition at each. I left Aid station 2 feeling good but then the long descent once again put doubts in my mind. Running reduced to little steps on jello-legs. Compression socks helped to contain the injury and pain, but the strength to support the pounding was still lacking. Soon, my knees started to hurt as well. At aid station 3, they told me I had 2:45 to make it to the next aid station before the cut-off. At the pace I